Thursday, September 2, 2010

Journal #2

For my persona text I decided to use my UA essay. I picked my essay because it has a lot to do with growing up, my environment, and why I am who I am today. I think the essay shows a side of me that I tend to keep inside and very close to me. It's shows how I like to be seen but with more detail to why I come off the way I do. If i had to compare my text with a story we've read I would compare it to Tapahonso. I think both are similar in the sense that both don't let everything out, there's still stuff that is kept personal for there own reasons. Mine reasons being I don't want to be looked at differently, I worked so hard all my life to be seen as me and I don't want my past, or the way I grew up to influence the way people judge me. I believe Tapahonso was doing the same thing by not speaking her native language to in a way protect herself.  Yet at the same time both are trying to let people see them for them which means often putting yourself out there and being vulnerable. For Tapahonso that was getting up in front of everyone and reading her poem, something she created, something that was a part of her and only her, her poetry was the one thing she had that separated her from her family. For me my text is my vulnerable side that I am letting out and the way I chose to live my life and the decisions I've made is what separates me from my family. Another thing that is similar is we are both trying to keep apart of ourselves private, but in some way or another the part we try to keep hide is the part that explains so much about us. I really related to the Tapahonso text and thought it was very insightful. For me at least it helped me understand identity vs. persona which is part of the reason I chose my UA essay.

3 comments:

  1. Using the UA essay as your persona text is a great idea, I was hesitating myself, but ended up choosing something else!
    I think it is interesting that you view your UA essay as your true identity. For me, the UA essay portrayed only one part of myself; I created a persona and did NOT show my true identity.
    It is a little confusing, though, because at one point, you say "It's shows how I like to be seen but with more detail to why I come off the way I do." Wouldn't you actually have created a PERSONA essay since it shows how you like to be seen and not how you really are?
    Just something to clear out :)
    Also, adding punctuation to parts of your journal would help to smooth it out, especially when reading it.
    Otherwise, great job at comparing your text to Tapahonso's; how she kept certain "secrets" about her personality buried in her text, and how you did the same with your UA essay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think the essay shows my true identity, which is how I like people to see me but I don't like people to know the background to my identity. Even though the two go hand in hand telling the background would makes me feel vulnerable, which is why I used it in my essay because I felt it was worth the risk because I wanted to get into UA so bad. I also think since I don't talk about my background a lot, people don't understand me or why I do the things I do, so I often create a persona when with certain people because I guess it's just easier. Oh and thanks I'll try and work on paying attention to my punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think choosing to analyze your essay is a great idea. It really tells everything about you so it should be fun seeing how and why you told the U of A who you area. It should be interesting going back and seeing the things you included, and what you choose to leave out. You did a very good job at comparing your persona text to Tapahonso. You were able to see that you were both hiding things, "Mine reasons being I don't want to be looked at differently... I believe Tapahonso was doing the same thing." I think your analysis will be very good!

    ReplyDelete