When i was a little girl I loved make up, playing with barbies, and dancing around my house, I was your typical little girly girl. I even remember how I loved picking out my own outfits in the morning and by outfits i mean tights, a shirt, two dresses over that and a coat. I guess you could say I was a little indecisive and still am only now i have better fashion sense. I was also obsessed with the movie "The little Rascals" I so badly wanted to be Darla and thought i was going to be a famous actress. Like the little actress I so desperately want to be, I often went to the school nurse and would act like I was sick to go home early. You could say school wasn't on my mind at five I was to busy dreaming of the bright lights and a pink limo.
Well as years went on i became less of a girly girl and more of girl with a million dreams. I remember pretty clearly when i was in fourth grade I wanted to be chef, a massage therapist, an accountant, journalist, and a math teacher. It was this year i became intrigued in learning and realized i could do anything i put my mind to. My inspiration came from my teacher, she gave me the confidence to believe in myself.
Fourth grade I learned to follow my dreams and work hard. I remember that year like it was yesterday, learning a new poem every week, doing math every morning, having reading parties and having a teacher that believed in you before you believed in yourself. I remember I knew I would like the class after we learned our first poem "yellow bus". Poetry was something so new to me yet i fell in love with it so easily and the same thing happened with math. I use to be horrible at it but everyday we would have a number on a piece of paper and we had to come up with equations to equal that number. I was so eager to to come up with as many as I could and hope my name would be called at the end to get the paper, I won four times. Learning what I was good at and passionate about made me want to further my education which meant I needed to get good grades if I ever wanted to follow my dreams. This is when I realized what hard work was and became a determined person.
Coming back to my story
For me it was hard to decide what I should write, trying to think of one specific time that changed me was just difficult because I have always just thought I changed over time and never really considered the moments themselves. Other than that I found after I wrote it that I did similar things to Hampl, such as fictionalizing certain facts. I really don't know the exact name of the poem from the first day of fourth grade I just remember that "Yellow bus" was one of the first ones I learned and I don't think I really won the math paper four times I think it was three but i'm still not sure. I also don't remember picking out my crazy outfits when I was younger my parents have just always told me about it and how I cut my own hair one time and show me pictures of how funny I looked. The thing is I didn't really think about it while I was writing, I wasn't distinguishing what I remembered from what I was told or what was fact. But in the end I like my story it's not the way I see it in my head but it's still the truth of how I changed.
Coming back to my story
For me it was hard to decide what I should write, trying to think of one specific time that changed me was just difficult because I have always just thought I changed over time and never really considered the moments themselves. Other than that I found after I wrote it that I did similar things to Hampl, such as fictionalizing certain facts. I really don't know the exact name of the poem from the first day of fourth grade I just remember that "Yellow bus" was one of the first ones I learned and I don't think I really won the math paper four times I think it was three but i'm still not sure. I also don't remember picking out my crazy outfits when I was younger my parents have just always told me about it and how I cut my own hair one time and show me pictures of how funny I looked. The thing is I didn't really think about it while I was writing, I wasn't distinguishing what I remembered from what I was told or what was fact. But in the end I like my story it's not the way I see it in my head but it's still the truth of how I changed.
Ambition is a great quality that a lot of people lack and it seems like you have plenty of it. So many people in our generation are still finding themselves and it seems like you really have things figured out.
ReplyDelete